HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO #THECFD CELEBRATING 115 YEARS of SERVICE!
The Department was established on this day, February 1, 1903 with its first Fire Chief, W. J. May and W. H. Sloan its Assistant Chief elected on January 22, 1903.
The Department was comprised of 40 men selected from the four disbanded volunteer companies, divided among the four paid companies. The Palmetto Engine Company #2 located on the 1213 block of Blanding Street, the Phoenix Hook and Ladder Company located at 1601 Assembly Street, the Independent Steam Fire Engine Company #1 located in the 1129 block of Washington Street and the Columbia Steam Engine Company #3 located at 814 Main Street.
115 years later the Department has 32 fire stations with 598 Firefighters, 486 career and 112 volunteer; and using 100 fire apparatus to provide fire service in the City of Columbia Government and Richland County.
To find more history on the Columbia Fire Department visit our website’s history page https://colafire.net/about-us/history-of-the-department/.
All of the men and women of #TheCFD continue to honorably serve the citizens, visitors, properties and the environment in our response areas each and every day.