Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey D. Jenkins wants you to have a safe New Year by leaving the fireworks to the professionals such as during the Famously Hot New Year celebration.
Chief Jenkins strongly discourages the use of consumer fireworks due to the high risk of property damage, injuries and possible death associated with fireworks.
If you do decide to use consumer fireworks Chief Jenkins encourages you to follow these safety tips:
- Always read and follow labeled directions.
- Have an adult present at all times.
- Never allow children to play, hold or light fireworks.
- Only buy from licensed/permitted dealers.
- Always have water close (a garden hose or a water bucket).
- Keep fireworks that are not being used, covered to protect them from accidental fallout from the fireworks display.
- Never throw or point fireworks at people.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
For more information on Famously Hot New Year visit: http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/.
Chief Jenkins and the Columbia Fire Department wish you a Happy & Fire Safe New Year!