!!!!!!Test your skills to see if your home is fire safe!!!!!!!
Click here to see if you can pass the test!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Columbia Fire Department is obligated to serve and protect the citizens of Richland County and The City of Columbia. We fulfill this obligation by developing and implementing fire safety education programs. These programs are designed to empower our residents with information through the following means:
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Fire Education Presentations
- Fire Station Tour
- Fire Drills
- Fire Truck Demonstrations
- Evacuation Plans for your Home and Business
- Fire Museum Tours
Heating Safety Tips for the Winter Season
From 2012 to 2016, the most common causes of fires that cause deaths was heating (43 percent) and smoking (19 percent). Heating safety is the number leading cause of fires. Here are some safety tips you can use to help prevent a fire during the winter season.
- Only use a space heater on a hard surface like hardwood, ceramic tile, etc.
- Maintain a 3’ clearance of combustibles away from all heaters and fireplaces.
- Never use a space heater while you are sleeping.
- Never use a stove to heat a home. A gas stove will emit carbon monoxide.
- Plug all heaters directly in an outlet and not a cube adapter or multi-plug.
- Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm in your home if have any type of fuel fired appliances, fire place or an attached garage.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms in all our bedrooms, just outside the bedrooms and on each level of your home.
- Make sure all of your smoke alarms are installed according to the pictures below.
- Have a professional company inspect your gas fireplace and clean your chimney yearly if you use natural wood.
- Never use pine in a fireplace. The sap from the tree will attach to your chimney walls and it can spark a fire.
- Make sure you have a shied in front of the fire place
- Keep combustible materials 3’ away from the fireplace.
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of residential home fires, so here are some fire safety tips that can help you prevent kitchen fires.
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food and use a timer to remind you that you are simmering, baking or roasting food.
- Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.
If you have a small (grease) cooking fire and decide to fight the fire…
- On the stovetop, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
If you have any doubt about fighting a small fire…
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number from outside the home.
Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
Public Fire Education Officer, Bengie L. Leverett
1612 Bull Street Columbia, SC 29201
Phone (803) 545-4162 Bengie.Leverett@columbiasc.gov