The Columbia Fire Department is one of the largest fire rescue departments in South Carolina and depends on an increased need for volunteers to complement our excellent career staff. We offer multiple ways you can serve our department and your community. These include serving in the Explorers Firefighter program, as a Support Volunteer, Support Operations Volunteer, Emergency Medical Services Volunteer, Volunteer Driver Operator, or as a Volunteer Firefighter
Our vision is to be the model combination career-volunteer Fire Rescue system for the state, but to do so we need your help. We are excited about the prospect of having you as a team member. If you decide to make this commitment to your friends, neighbors, and community, please complete the application package and submit it for further consideration.
- · Be, at least, 18 years of age
- · Possess a high school diploma/GED
- · Have a Class D driver’s license (no more than 4 points against it)
- · No felony convictions
- · Live in the area
As a volunteer in our system, we will provide your required training and offer you a vast array of benefits as well as the possibility of advancement to a career position.
- · Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- · Coverage begins first day of employment
- · Activity fee reimbursement
- · SC State Firefighters’ Association membership
- · Free training
- · Uniforms and protective gear
- · Possible college credit for training
- · Possible SC tax credit incentive (VIP) http://scfiremarshal.llronline.com/indexsf.asp?file=pilotlaw/main.htm
There are several steps to the volunteer application process. Upon submission of your application, it will be reviewed and a criminal background and driving record check will be performed.
If accepted, you will be notified to attend an orientation meeting (held monthly) to receive additional information and learn what is expected of you as a volunteer. If issues arise during the review of your application, you will be provided an update regarding your application.
Our personnel are available to support and assist Please contact me if you have questions.
If you’re looking to join us and you see this fire station icon near your address, you can help your community by volunteering.
Volunteer Coordinator William Broscious
1800 Laurel Street Columbia, S.C. 29201
Phone (803) 545-0241 William.Broscious@columbiasc.gov